Friday, April 1, 2011

Final Four Madness

There's literally a ton that I could say on the topic of VCU basketball, but I have other homework pending and I could rant for over an hour, so this will have to suffice for now. I couldn't be more proud of what Shaka and the team have accomplished. From the first four to the final four, only the third 11th seed to make the final four ever. This speaks volumes for not only the CAA, as George Mason reached this mark five years ago, but it also says a lot for midmajors as a whole. Just because a team is not in a power conference does not mean that they aren't a threat. Butler proved that last year and is doing it all over again now. I will be the first to admit that when we got the bid from the committee, I was outspoken against the decision. We legitimately didn't deserve to be there, we played at the level of the NIT. However, teams that got snubbed, like VT, already lost in the NIT and we have proven that we can hang with the big guys by making it this far. I didn't trash us or the selection committee like Jay Bilas did, but I disagreed with it- especially for a play in game. How can one of the play-in games be fore the 11 seed? All of them should be for the 16 seed. I also don't agree with play in games. But none of this really matters. What VCU, and U of R for that matter, have done for the city of Richmond is simply phenomenal. It was briefly the center of the college basketball universe, which is really damn cool. I love seeing all of the spirit being shown around campus, the city, and across the state. Even the governor cancelled a Republican meeting to go to Houston for the games. For the third year in a row, VCU is being put on the map- first with Eric Maynor, then with Larry Sanders, and now, which is hands down the biggest thing to happen to VCU athletics. It's amazing to be a part of it, this is a once in a lifetime experience and we definitely won't make it this far again while I am a student, and perhaps not again for some time, if ever in my lifetime. Having shot the team for the past two years, I feel that national exposure like this somewhat legitimizes my work. It breaks my heart to not be in Texas now. There was no chance I could get a press pass, but I'd even kill to be in the stands. I had a chance to go with a friend, which cost roughly $900, and then there was the raffle through the University. On an aside, I'd like to say that the University is doing a fantastic job of getting students involved in the event and promoting the team. The watch parties, emails, banners, and most importantly the two raffles they did for students to take a bus trip. The reason I decided against making the trip was that I have my first paying photo job on Saturday and there's no way I could get a flight in time, and though it would be unforgettable, it's hard to justify it financially in these times. I'm shooting someones wedding anniversary party, which should be fun, and I still get to watch the game in cap city and hopefully watch the streets explode into a mob of celebration. Of course I will be taking part, which brings me to the photographic purpose of this post. I have been able to document some of the celebratory rioting in the city and it's been crazy. Also, one of my friends Kyle Lafferriere has been fortunate enough to shoot all of the NCAA games and will have the opportunity to do so as far as VCU goes. I'm jealous beyond words, but happy for him- he's the photo editor for the Commonwealth Times. Here is a link to his blog, which is still under construction. Much more can be seen on his facebook page but I don't want to link that. I can't wait for the game tomorrow night. RAM NATION!


No comments:

Post a Comment